Guild Landmarks
Another landmark in the life of the Guild was the re-opening of the Tennis Court on 4th September, 1939 with a social gathering. The club had in its roll 32 members. A loan of Rs. 25/- was taken from the Wesley Guild to start the club. It was hoped that this loan will soon be repaid. The club Secretary was one Mr. Thipthorpe. A detailed list of the rules and regulation of the club are also enclosed. This was carried out under the Chairmanship of the Rev. L. J. Hopkins and Pastor Irving, our long serving Pastor, Special mention must also be made of the 32nd Anniversary celebration of the Wesley Guild on 19th July, 1940. When Mr. H. H. Carleston, the then District Collector presided over the programme of music and song, Pastor Irving thanked the Chief Guest and the performers. The Annual Report was read by Miss Arnold the Guild’s General Secretary.
What must be mentioned is that on most of these pages of the Minutes of the Executive Meeting of the Guild there is the seal of the Church that looks like this:
Another interesting feature to be noted is the name of Dr. Venugopal who was appointed to the Tennis Court Committee in place of Mr. J. Thomson who had left Bangalore on 6th September 1941. Hitherto membership to the club was only for Europeans and Anglo-Indians. Members of other communities, who wish to join the club, had to apply in writing to the Secretary, who would submit the application to the Committee.
A good and perfect gift
1940 was significant as many missionaries began to be apprehensive about the outcome of the War, when in Europe, nation after nation began losing their freedom, and “their own mother country” was threatened by what happened at Dunkirk and also the continuous air- raids. It was then that the most “nationally minded” of the Indian Ministers, V. Benjamin of the Churches of the Mysore District decided to raise a sum of Rs.2,000/- for the assistance of the Methodists in Britain. In the appeal it was said; “For the first time, we stretched out our hands to our brothers and sisters across the seas” (Mysore District Report, 1940 pp.15-16 ).
Farewell to a faithful shepherd
The year 1941, was an extremely sad one for our Church, as Pastor D Irving, who had been for 22 years in charge of the “Anglo Indian congregation at St. John’s Hill
Bangalore, died on 25th September 1941.Of English birth, he made Indiahis home and was a former Salvation Army Worker. He was described as a brother beloved, and a true father in God to his congregators. The Vrittanta Patrike (the first Kannada weekly) said of him: “He was a model Christian and Pastor”.
The Second World War
The St. John’s Hill Pastorate now welcomed the Rev. E. Middleton Weaver as Pastor of the Church. In 1942, Rev. Weaver, reports an improvement in the congregation at St. John’s Hill which offered a temporary spiritual home for a good many refugees. A Junior Guild had made a promising start. In the years that followed the Church had become a centre of Christian hospitality and spiritual influence.
In 1943, one of our future Pastors, the Rev. C. L. Stean who was then in charge of the Industrial School, Tumkur, was called for Military service. In the same year (1943) the United Theological College that was always closely associated with the St. John’s Hill’s Church, was taken over by the army. The college was moved to the Mission Road compound in the City”.
Another effect of the War that was of great significance was the number of refugees who came from other part of India and Burma, and settled in Bangalore at this time. The St. John’s Hill Church was a spiritual home to many refugees.
From the records of the minutes book we observe that the Harvest Festival was an event organized by the Wesley Guild. In 1944 it was resolved to continue this as a permanent feature. Noted Methodist Leaders like Rev. W. Perston, Rev. E. Evitt and Canon Elphick preached the Harvest Thanks giving sermons and also presided at the Guild Anniversary celebrations. The Rev. W. Perston was not only a spiritual luminary but a great administrator as well. He was the last of the Missionaries to be appointed from London to the office of Chairman and General Superintendent of the Mysore District. After the inauguration of the Church of South India, he was elected as first Treasurer of the Mysore District. Besides all this his distinction as a Kannada scholar was unsurpassed.
Twilight years of the Guild
1945 saw the disbanding of the Tennis Court (3 in number) and the disposing of the property, adding the proceeds to the Guild, funds. The Wesley Guild Library had approximately one thousand books and old books were donated to the “Friend –in- Need - Society”.
There was a marked decline in the numbers attending the Guild meetings by the October of 1945, so much so that the Rev. Hopkins called for a special meeting to find out whether the good work of the Guild should continue or not. Those present were in favour of it continuing, and it was resolved to have meetings on the first Friday of each month.
Copyright © 2018 - Wesley English Church